Monday, September 1, 2014

The Second To Last???

So, this last week was possibly the second to last week of my time here in Capiatá. I really don't know because they won't tell me what happens with changes until next week, but I keep thinking about how it's quite possible that I go this next change. If I stay, there will be immense blessings that follow here! If I leave, I'll be happy to go where the Lord asks. But, it fills me with slight anxiety not knowing which it will be, and so that's just been a huge motivation to push hard and work to either leave something behind or help these seeds grow to be here for their harvest.

After writing y'all, we went to the mythological museum of Capiatá, with all of the Guaraní myths (which lots of people believe in ignorantly, seeing as they still call them myths but believe myths to be the name of those supernatural beings that actually do exist). Super awesome! They're pretty much all malevolent and will do bad things to you if you disturb them. I think my favorite is the Mbói Tu'i, the weird snake bird.

Then, the work this week was really great in some ways and then just frustrating in others. We had some wonderful lessons, including having the Bishop present in our Monday night lesson with the Familia Ughelli-Ayala, which was really a powerful lesson and left them all just ready for more. They really committed themselves more than ever to come to church. 

We were able to find a whole bunch of new people to teach this week, which was awesome. We're going to see in these next few days how many of them really stick and really begin to investigate our message, but it really fills me with hope to see that and some of them were really cool. 

We finally had another lesson with the Hermano Benitez, who was alone this week and who's been struggling with his smoking addiction, so I gave him a call Saturday night to make sure that he's alright and strengthen him to not smoke, but when I called he told me to call back in like thirty minutes to talk, and I forgot to call! He wasn't in church Sunday, and that made me really sad. I hope that there's repentance for failing him there.....

We had a really good lesson with Derlis Medina, the inactive man with a fairly troubled life. It was really uplifting and we shared the first five principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it really filled him with hope. He feels towards us that we are close friends, and so just really wanted to share with us a little mini cake he'd made (he's a baker by profession) and it was so delicious. I'm definitely going to help him to get reactivated and from now on, whenever I have a baptism near Asunción, we're asking for the cake from him. It was soooooooooooooo delicious.

Then, the two sons of the Familia Ughelli-Ayala came to our Wednesday night Soccer games! IT was awesome. They got to know the chapel and the youth and it was successful.

Well, those are the biggest things that happened this week. Today, My companion and I almost singlehandedly organized a big missionary farewell for a well-known missoinary and friend: Elder Balseca. It meant that I was pretty stressed the whole time trying to cook Peruvian-style chinese friend rice and chicken for like 20 people and then got stuck with cleaning it all up, but it was still really nice to perform that service and to see some old faces. Elder Gallegos is so awesome and I miss him a bunch.

No one came to church in the end and that's really a downer. It makes us missionaries feel like our work was for naught, but I know that the Lord is make some movement happen and I look forward to another strong week here in Capiatá.

I'm doing well for all who wish to know and keep you in my prayers! Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Harris





No comments:

Post a Comment