Saturday, October 4, 2014

God Works In Totally Random, Unpredictable, And Beautiful Ways‏

I don't know how I feel about the whole saying of "God works in mysterious ways," because that doesn't seem to capture just the odd, quirky, fantastic nature of the bewildered human mind when it's involved in Divine will. I've had a number of experiences this week that just make me so grateful to God and give me strength to think about or reflect upon.

For the first two instances in my office life up until this point, I stayed late in the office to do administrative work instead of going out to proselyte, which is not what any missionary wants ever. The first time was on Monday, because we desperately had to gather together all of the information of all of the apartments and Chapels that we're renting out as a mission, and that just took a long time and was difficult (we have like 110 houses in the mission and I've never done that before). That one has no awesome story, but the other does!

The second time was on Thursday, and it was super cool just because it was my first Presidential Assignment as Fichero. I handle all of our data and reports as a mission and that means that if President needs a report of all of the recent converts in the last year and a summary of those that are active and inactive, he asks me for it. And he did. Is there any manual about how to do such a thing? No. I've come to realize that being an adult and working in an office is just people asking you to do a certain genre of task and you just figure out how to get it done. You are NEVER given how to do it, they just give you an end goal, and you're on your own to bring it into existence, and I really like that, but it also makes me really nervous. So, I did it! With the help of the trusty ex-fichero (I just had to ask him some things about how to use Excel because it's been quite a while), and it turned out really beautifully actually. However, it meant that we were in the office until 7:00, giving us only two hours to work.

BUT MIRACLES EXIST! At like 6:50 when I was finishing up, our Ward Mission Leader, Hno. Palomeque, who has vanished for a long while being a super busy successful businessman, just walked into the building for and impromptu Ward Mission Coordination Meeting! I couldn't believe it. He's a really awesome guy and just knows how to get things done. We set some very important goals and made some very important dates to meet with other Ward leaders to get things moving on the reactivation front (that's something we need help with).

So, I was left with the impression that when President walked out of his office at 4:15, when I'm seriously fifteen minutes away from shutting everything down and leaving, to tell me about that project, I seriously think that it was divinely inspired, because there was no other way that we would've had that meeting. Had we not been there, our tired leader would have turned in for the night, and had I not had that assignment, I'd never have stayed. It was something really special.

PROSELYTING:

This week, there were some difficulties actually getting into lessons, BUT THE LESSONS WERE AMAZING! Elder Billings and I are just learning how to work together really well and we're really just fighting for our investigators and less-active members in our lessons. It's really awesome. So, we couldn't get into a single lesson with our family that has a baptismal date, but there's this really cool rich lawyer we're teaching who all of the sudden got super interested. We'd taught him twice before, but he wasn't taking things super seriously because we had to move REALLY slowly with him due to his questioning nature, but all of the sudden in the third lesson we just threw down the First Vision and The Book of Mormon, and the whole process seems to have changed for him. It was so wonderful and he should be in one of the sessions today. I was so happy.

Basically, I love that God cares for us in such little ways, and I love that He blesses us with His Spirit to guide us in our lives and in blessing the lives of others. I've truly felt His love, and I've felt my love for Him grow. I may have mentioned this before, but a few months back, a pair of questions came into my mind. 1. When is one of the strongest moments in your life when you knew God loves you? We can all think of one time or another if we've searched Him out humbly and truly. We have all been saved by those angels He puts in our path.

2. When is one of the strongest moments that you knew that you love God?

Most of us can't think of specific moments when we just really felt it strongly, at least not in the same way that we can think of the first answer. One thing I've been praying for a lot and striving to attain is a much greater love for God. It is the first and greatest commandment, and I can testify that as we come to obey it, we will feel the difference in our hearts and in our lives.

I love you all, I'm so thankful for the things that many have written me and I want you to know that it's a wonderful strength. Also:

Enjoy the Pictures.

Love,
Elder Harris



No comments:

Post a Comment