Friday, May 2, 2014

Hobbits

If any of you remember, one of the remarkable qualities of hobbits is their feet. They have sturdy feet that can endure anything. They are also short and enjoy food. My companion, while being short and raving about the beauty of Peruvian food, is sadly not a hobbit. Because of some delicate foot problems, we had to go to a traumatologist on Wednesday to see about some insoles for his shoes. The doctor's office lies about an hour and fifteen minutes into the South Mission. The doctor wasn't there on Wednesday.

So! We went back on Friday. Both of these trips were after waking up sometime around four 'o' clock a.m. and began with me hanging out of the front door of a packed bus for the first few minutes. I mean that literally. So many people in one bus that the only way we can board is if I stick my toes on and hang out the door. Once you do get in, there ceases to be anything holy or consecrated about the principle of personal space. I think the wind carries it away when you're hanging out the door.

After the doctor's visit, we had to walk another twenty minutes and find out that the insoles cost 150$! That's money that the mission will cover, but it still sucks to take it from them.

This sounds like complaint, but it was actually pretty fun and I'm glad that I have the experience. We got to see the city! It's bustling and cool and we don't have anything similar in the North Mission, and it was fun to walk on those streets a little.

Other news:

I kinda took charge of a youth choir that we're putting together for a Ward Conference on the 18th of May, and it's coming along in an interesting way. I have never played a piano and sung an accompaniment part at the same time (let alone in Spanish), and it's really, really difficult. I have to have everyone stop sometimes to get a grip on what it is I am doing. We practice on Wednesdays and Fridays, and it's fun.

The work:

Well, we lost time and struggled to use time effectively, and the result is that we didn't actually get a whole lot done, but these things are happening:

Sebastian told us he doesn't want to know anything more about the church. It's because he's really struggling with a lot of personal things right now, like having recently been released from prison, and he doesn't want to expend the extra effort. I wasn't pleased by this, but I respected his decision and let him know that if he ever has any questions or wants help that we're here.

We found one interesting new person, but I'm reluctant to tell you guys about her until we've had more lessons and her family proves to be real, long-term investigators.

Diana Rodriguez officially made the decision to be baptized this Saturday! She's super happy about that decision as well. We have the baptism planned, and will be having a Family Home Evening tonight to get her mother's approval in handwriting. It's so awesome! She's going to be baptized this Saturday! In Elder Gallegos very first change he found someone, taught her, and taught her all the way up to her baptism just before the end of the change! It will be so wonderful.

As far as my personal progress goes, I've really gained a thirst to know Christ better, and to be near to Him. So, I've been reading a lot about His mortal ministry and His time among the Nephites. It's so wonderful. Today, for the first time, I was able to read a passsage of scripture and really feel the words of the Savior, His gentleness and love radiating from the pure doctrine He spake. I love my Savior and I do this because of Him. This is His word, His power. He is the vine, and I strive every day to be a branch of that vine. I know that I am weak, but in Christ I can be perfected, remembering always His atonement and His living, abounding work for me. I bear my witness that Jesus is The Christ, and I invite all to come unto Him.

In the church, sometimes our focus falls and we fail to realize the real meaning of what we do. Please, read through the sacramental prayers and note where we promise always to remember the Savior. Always remember the Savior. Keep Him in your mind. If you feel you must know Him better, search the scriptures, search the Father, the Spirit will speak to you in those instances and bear witness of the Messiah. I know these things are true, and I know that Christ has declared His way. It is now perfection, but it is to keep His commands, His ordinances, and to serve with all of our heart, might, mind and strength. Please, take note, and follow Him even as a few fisherman, a tax manager, some followers of a prophet, and the friends of these men did in Galilee. Come unto Him from the crowd as Nephi did and come before Him to kiss His feet and arise to receive His word. I know He is the Way and the Life of all those who would seek the Kingdom of Heaven. This is His kingdom upon the earth. 

I know it.

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment