Monday, July 6, 2015

The Cool Part of The Action Movie Where Two Heroes Fight Back to Back‏

Everyone!

This week has been awesome! I'm just really happy about how this last change is going to go. We had the first five days with my new companion in the same area, and it's just really enjoyable. So, who is my new companion???

His selfie is included below. I dunno if he'd like me to send it, but sent it I have!


Elder DuFort, from Roseville, Sacramento, California! He comes into the mission with a whopping 10 months in the field and 6' 1". He's been progressing well and it looks like he's ready to take the next steps forward as a missionary. He's been thrown into this area that he'll get to make his own as he works through here. We've been enjoying our time together a bunch! 

One of the biggest things that I've noticed is the unity. Unity is a crowning principle that we too often ignore in our lives. We get focused on ourselves and lose sight of working with those around us. It's so difficult to acheive though, because it means that everyone's humble, everyone has the same desires for what's best and accepts the same criteria. They don't always have to agree to start with, but as they go along with that meekness, they seek God's will and take unanimous decisions, supporting one another when one gets the right impression first. It's essential in missionary work and the degree of unity or harmony that we have determines a lot of the quality of the work, and the Spirit's ability to work through us (a good scripture that reminds us "If you are not one, you are not mine."). Elder DuFort and I aren't perfectly united, but we are working with much more unity, and that brings so much peace to my heart. There are things I'm going to learn from him, and he has a lot to learn as he's heading into the midpoint of his mission, but I'm confident that we'll both leave this change a lot stronger and more capable to face the challenges that present themselves in the hereafter.

The rant about unity also describes the subject line: that's what lessons feel like now. 

So, I'm feeling great!

The work is moving along. We witnessed a baptism this Saturday. Hector is one of Elder Walters' investigators and he was baptized at 6:00 Saturday. It was nice, but few people attended. He's got a wonderful start in the Church though.

Ismael is so getting baptized this Saturday! It's going to be soooooo great! I'm excited for it. He's worked really hard for it too. He's started to invite people and we're preparing a good program for it, so hopefully you guys get to hear about the best baptism yet!

We're striving to find new families still, as always, and there are some potential people, but I'll write about those who remain next week. The hope is that we have a marriage baptism before I'm done here!

The work is beautiful and wonderful and seeing the change that people bring in their lives with the Gospel is the most satisfying thing I've ever experienced. I'm so grateful for those who've fulfilled that role in my life. It's funny how all I'm doing is really paying it forward. Other people built me up, helped me gain my own testimony, helped me be strong enough to get out in the field and let the Gospel change my life. Other people showed me how and walked with me along the way. All I'm doing is trying to do and be what they were for me for others who really need it. This is something I want to ask everyone to do. Think of the great examples in your lives. Think of the people who changed your lives and what they did to change them (for the better of course), and then go and do it for someone who needs that.

I love you all and hope that this week goes well for every single one of you.

Love,
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment