Monday, July 27, 2015

Blessings at the Lord's Hand‏

Hello Folks!

I'm so happy about this week! I feel like I have a lot to tell you all about! But it's all about missionary work, so I hope that's what you were hoping for!

So, in this area, we've had a tough time finding new investigators. It's always been like you find one once in a blue moon and they're usually not actually that interested in following Jesus Christ even unto baptism. This week, we found somewhere around seven new investigators, a number of whom we were able to get second visits with and set baptismal dates. How did we find these investigators? Almost all of them were through tracting. I love the hope that that brings. I believe in the power of it so much! Just get out and open your mouth and it will be filled!

One of them was a young man, about 19 years old, who, when we contacted him, voiced that he wouldn't like to meet with us and really know more, and that he has very different opinions and he doesn't like listening to others. But, we saw a bit of curiosity, and so we bore really sincere testimony and left him with a Book of Mormon. Fast forward three weeks later (this last Friday), and we return to the house even though we've been rejected several times throughout the weeks by his mother, and he let us in first thing and listened attently. He accepted the baptismal invitation and we have an appointment set up for tomorrow. I love the power of God as He works through us. Our words, combined with the converting power of the Book of Mormon, softened his heart to be able and willing to listen.

Another one was a family I'd contacted with Elder Requelme, but who'd never received us. We found them with a little bit of extra time, and they let us in. They're a little more closed off because of deep Catholic roots, but they were equally willing to listen and very curious. We found the mom again yesterday and she accepted a baptismal date for August 29th.

And there were a couple of other people in there who just let us in from tracting them right there in the moment, and beautiful contacts with people who just wanted to know more about what we do as missionaries.

The biggest and most important new investigator is Ismael's aunt, Nancy. She received us on Thursday, after having seen Meet the Mormons as I'd said in last week's email, and that lesson went so well. She received the message of the Restoration with such gladness; it was beautiful. We visited her again yesterday, and she accepted a baptismal date for August 29th as well! She seems so sure about her desire to know more, to know if this is the right path for her, to know truth instead of opinion. I know that God will hear her and answer her prayers. I've felt it in my own life and seen it happen so many times.

There was a moment in the lesson when she just started to talk about the change that she's seen in Ismael, and I started to realize that he's not merely changed his life, he's literally a different person. When I first met him, he was CRAZY shy. He didn't really talk. He had a different air about him. Now, he interrupts me, makes friends in Church, jokes, and is open to life. He has his own initiative instead of being acted on, and he continually makes the decision to work for his good and future. I love this guy so much. I seriously cannot describe how much joy it brings to me to contemplate the blessings God has given him, and the fact that I got to participate. This work is amazing.

Last week, I had an interview with President McMullin so that my Temple Recommend doesn't expire before I leave, and we started talking about these last weeks, Of course, I plan on keeping more focused and working harder and just keeping strong, but he added something to it that I never thought about. He said that no one you teach ever forgets the missionary that gave them their first lesson. Even if he wasn't there to see them baptized, the missionary that gives them their first lesson always sticks out in their minds. I've actually been able to see that in other people in other areas with my companions.

Well, that was this week. I'm doing well and trying to work hard. I always note my own weaknesses, but I'm trying.

I love you all and hope that this message finds you well.

Sincerely,
Elder Harris

3 Gen. Fichero!

No comments:

Post a Comment