Monday, June 23, 2014

A Big Peruvian Family‏

Hello All!

It's wonderful to receive your emails and news! I love it.

This week has brought some rather crazy things. As I said last week, we have changes, Elder Yauney went home, and I'm training once again. Unfortunately, I left my SD card that actually has the pictures at home, so this week will not be a super happy picture week. Sorry. :(

But! I have crazy news! Every sixth Wednesday is changes day, and all who have or receive changes gather in the office, including those who are going home, so I got to see Elder Yauney for what I thought was the last time in my own mission lifetime. We said goodbye and I inherited an abdominal torture device that some people use to excercise. It's pure punishment.

Well, there were only five coming in, so instead of a big meeting, the five trainers go upstairs and have a couple of chats with the Assistants and the Sister Training Leaders. Just like the first time. Cool, right?

Well, then we go in and see our soon-to-be trainees, and as part of the slideshow, the President shows that I will be training...........


Elder Panaifo!

We're all happy and stuff and then the President looks at me and says, "And you guys will be sticking around for a while, because you're coming with us and the missionaries who are going home to the temple, so your companion can receive his endowments."

I was floored.

I was just super excited after that the whole day, and I got to accompany my companion through the temple for his first time. It was amazing and I won't forget it.

It also meant that I was with my trainer again and got to say goodbye just after having gone through the temple together with him. I have a unique mission.

I'm not going to lie, the work wasn't all that great this week. I realized that my work has been pretty sloppy and inefficient, and that was manifested very well with the brand new Elder Panaifo at my side. So, I've had to rededicate myself to finding problems and trying to think of solutions to these problems. The results have been good, and I've found some good solutions that I'm really excited to apply in the work this week.

One great thing did happen though. A man whose family was baptized less than a year ago listened to us for the second time. He got interested when in a Family Home Evening with his wife and some youth from the ward we talked about eternal families, and though he'd listened to the missionaries on various occasions, he finally was open to the promptings of the Spirit, and wanted to hear us again. So, this week we had the second visit, and we took a leap of faith and, rather than teach a safe, investigator lesson, we taught principles of a recent convert lesson to help fortify the faith of his wife and then help him maintain his vision. We taught about the Priesthood, which is a deep, difficult subject for investigators to understand, but the Lord blessed us with His Spirit and we were able to explain it in terms that he understood very, very well, and we were able to teach many of the doctrines and points of the first investigator lesson, and set a baptismal date for him. It was a wonderful lesson, and I'm so grateful that the Lord has blessed me to be have been able to be part of it. So! Hopefully we'll be hearing more about Hermano Montiel!

I love you all! If you have any questions or comments, let me know!

Love,
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment