Monday, June 30, 2014

When Through The Deep Waters....‏

Everyone!

I don't know if any of you have ever taken it upon yourselves to memorize all seven verses to this beautiful hymn (recorded in our very first hymnbook), but the title of this email is from verse number four, and there's a reason. Just look at the pictures I'm including and you'll understand.

We did a service project to a place that got hit by a tornado, yes, a tornado (the first to hit in almost twenty years).

It flooded.

Now, I do not mean to diminished what happened our father Noah, but I'm pretty sure it was when the rain reached this level that people started to be like, "hey man, we were just joking..... Can you open up the ark again and we'll hop on in?"

We weren't aware that it was going to rain, but that's the beauty of rain, it just shows up without warning. No call to confirm the appointment needed.

It was awesome.

There were seriously places where it came above my knee. We were soaked to the bone anyways though, so sloshing through the streams that were once stone paved roads wasn't an issue. Except for the cold.

No one actually let us serve though. We just kinda ran around for a while divided into different groups. All the other groups found people to help, but we didn't. I did however, almost fall into a meter deep gutter, which would have been such a fun email to write you all from the hospital, but unfortunately, I was yelled at fiercely to not cross the road at that specific place.

So, that was pretty awesome.

Other than that, the work was slow. Still having issues managing myself and the area and I really, really wish I'd put more effort into the Personal Management merit badge in Boy Scouts, because now it's become crucial. But, we were able to find some really cool news who have definitely been prepared by God to receive us. I'm excited to see what happens and see who will be baptized in July!

The work goes on and we strive forward. This morning I read in 1 Kings 8 about the dedicatory prayer of Solomon's temple, and it's so powerful after having been through the temple! I haven't studied anything but the Book of Mormon, New Testament, and basic gospel principles for so long that the second we built on those principles with the temple it was like a volley of cannon fire opened up my mind and built on my understanding. My testimony has grown so much on the mission. I know so much more surely, I can say without a doubt that I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, who is our loving Heavenly Father. I understand who Jesus Christ is so much better and know His role in my life and in the Gospel so much better. I know He is my Savior. I know that His truth was placed on this earth by Joseph Smith and that it continues today by His divine hand. Because I know these basic things, I can tell all of you that our temples are sacred. They are the house of the Lord without a doubt. They are absolutely necessary and are one of the greatest gifts God has deigned to give us. I love them and I love Him.

I hope that all of you have a wonderful week and remember temple worship.

Love,

Elder Harris


PICTURES!

This is Elder Panaifo, of the jungle in Iquitos, Perú.

Then Baptism Pictures

And then our zone going to the service project

No comments:

Post a Comment